The Benefits of Learning Reiki
- One of the main benefits of learning Reiki is that it raises your vibration, whether you’re applying it to yourself or others. Raising your vibration = warm fuzzies. It’s worth it just for that!
- Can be used to decrease pain, both physical and emotional, in yourself and others. This is one of the primary benefits.
- Decreases anxiety.
- You can connect with people through unconditional love.
- Increases your intuitive abilities.
- Amplifies your innate talents and gifts, whatever they are.
- Sometimes works on inanimate objects, like cars and computers if they’ve stopped working.
- Enhances your connection to the Divine, however you see that.
- Is a way to practice meditation.
- If you tend to have cold hands and feet, you probably won’t have that problem anymore.
- Eases depression.
- Every time you give Reiki to someone else you also receive it.
- Has the same effect as being given a blessing.
What is Reiki?
Reiki (pronounced Ray-Key) is a form of energy healing founded by Mikao Usui in Japan in the early 1920s. Energy healing is based on two ideas. The first is that our physical bodies have a corresponding complex energy body. This energy body is interconnected with the physical body. It can be altered in beneficial ways by a skilled practitioner. The second idea is that we can access a universal life force to increase the life force of anyone or anything else, including inanimate objects. Although everyone already has the ability to do this, learning Reiki teaches you techniques for accessing this universal life force and also increases your ability to do so.
How Does Reiki Work?
Reiki primarily comes through the hands, especially at first. A session involves the Reiki practitioner putting their hands in certain positions on or above the body of another person. As the student goes through each level of training they learn how to channel and direct Reiki with their minds, even over long distances. Reiki Masters become like Reiki hotspots. They tend to radiate Reiki all the time, even at low levels.
How Do I Learn Reiki?
There are generally four levels of Reiki: Reiki I, Reiki II, Reiki III/Master, and Reiki IV/Master Teacher. In Reiki Level I the student begins the attunement process which opens them up physically to receiving more universal life energy. They learn how to give Reiki to themselves and others. Level II increases the ability to channel Reiki and gives symbols for working on the emotional and mental level, as well as the distance symbol for working long distance. Level III/Master increases the amount of Reiki channeled and gives the student the ability to attune others to Reiki. It is generally recommended that you wait at least 21 days between attunements.
Where Do I Learn Reiki?
At Illuminations there are several practitioners attuned to the Master/Teacher level. Mary Thompson and Stephanie Ryan regularly offer Reiki classes. Check the website events calendar for upcoming classes.
Reiki does not replace the need to be seen by a licensed medical or mental health professional. It can help the treatments you are receiving work better. It is not a cure. If you are in physical or mental distress it is not advised to learn Reiki at this time because it could amplify your symptoms and make them worse. However, an experienced Reiki practitioner could help ease them.
About the Author
Gretchen Little was first attuned to Reiki in the early 2000s and became a Reiki Master/Teacher in 2009. She has received Reiki attunements from Mary Thompson, Stephanie Ryan, and Karen Fox. She first learned energy healing at a Healing Touch workshop in 1991.